People always assume that new buildings will be very well insulated. However, this might not always be the case. Some buildings are inevitably better insulated than other buildings, and it all depends on how the building has been constructed. If you are thinking of buying a new home, insulation is something that you will need to check.
Here are some of the factors that will affect insulation:
- Windows and doors. They should be well fitted, and made of a thermally efficient material like uPVC. Make sure they have been fitted well and you can’t feel a draught around them.
- Insulated walls. If you have something like cavity wall insulation or rendering, this will help the building to be more thermally efficient. However, it isn’t the be all and end all and there are other ways of insulating a new building.
- Rooflights. These will help reduce energy bills and keep a room an ambient temperature.
Compressed air is a very efficient way of generating energy, for a wide variety of applications. It can save a lot of energy and time, plus air can be stored as potential energy, to be used later when it is needed. Some brands will supply better compressed air systems than other. If you are concerned about efficiency, you might want to think about choosing HPC compressed air systems, as this is a quality brand and a well-know, reputable company.
HPC supply a wide range of compressed air systems, and add on systems for treating air, like compressed air dryers. They have become one of the most well-known brands in the UK and supply air compressor equipment to some of the leading manufacturing brands in the UK. Here are some of the reasons why people choose HPC:
- Reliability. They know the marketplace and supply products that people want and can rely on.
- Quality. Machines work as they should and are covered by guarantees should anything go wrong.
- Major brand. As an industry leader, it makes sense to choose someone you know will deliver on their promises.
- They offer service and support. They will be able to help if you experience any problems and if your compressor needs servicing, which should be carried out on a regular basis.
- They will offer value for money. With a good, honest, reliable brand, you know you are getting a good return on your investment.
- Their machines are highly efficient, so you can rely on them to do the job in your industry.
Using an air dryer – essential for productivity
If you do not use your air compression system in the right way, you will not gain the maximum benefits. You need to make sure your machines are running effectively and efficiently if you want maximum output. This is why you need to dry compressed air.
Water vapour is within the gasses that are drawn into an air compressor. The condensate will be removed by a centrifugal separator, however this does not account for the air that remains saturated with water vapour. If this air cools inside the machine, it is left in the pipes and will inevitably cause issues, including corrosion and break downs. This can be avoided by using an air drying system, which will keep compressors working so that you don’t lose productivity time. There is a wide range of air drying systems available from HPC.
Remaining efficient when using compressed air
There are some steps you can take to make sure your compressed air system is serving you as well as possible. You should have it serviced regularly, along with air drying systems, to make sure everything is safe and working to full capacity. There may be rules about minimum servicing times in the manual that comes with your equipment. Check for leaks on a regular basis, to ensure that air is not escaping. You should only use the machines when needed to help save time and to reduce manufacturing costs as much as possible.
An electric hoist is a piece of lifting equipment that is used to lift heavy or difficult loads, usually up to around 50 Tonnes. They are used in many different sectors and for many different applications, such as rigging on ships or lifting on a construction site. They are generally used when the load is large, bulky or difficult to lift and requires a more robust solution than a manual hoist.
What are the benefits of an electric hoist?
An electric hoist can be used to lift much bigger loads, giving you greater flexibility on site. These are some of the key benefits:
- Increased productivity. An electric hoist will allow people on site to carry out more work, in a shorter space of time, because it no longer has to be done by hand.
- Safety. It is much safer to life a heavy loads with an electric hoist. People working on site won’t have to move loads by hand, or by using a manual hoist. This improves health and safety.
- Financial benefits. Whilst an electric hoist will cost more than a manual one, it will allow you to be much more productive. This means you can make more money and make better use of your labour.
- Good brands. There are lots of good, reputable, well-known brands that make electric hoists. These include Stahl, Yale, GIS and Donati.
Different Types of Electric Hoist
There are two main types of electric hoist – the chain hoist and the wire rope hoist. Both have their own advantages for different applications and you can buy quality hoists in both versions.
Electric chain hoists are extremely hardy and robust. They can be successfully used in all kinds of weather conditions and will stand up to a great deal of wear and tear. They also tend to be cheaper than wire rope hoists, making them more economical. They can have duel speed controls and limit switches to control the hook path. They might also be fitted with a radio remote control function to make the hoist easier to use and operate.
Wire rope hoists allow for quick lifting speeds and a great deal of accuracy. The way in which they lift is different to an electric chain hoist – the cable is wrapped around the whereas a chain hoist is attached differently. The chain hoist operates in much the same way, and also has the option of remote controls for safer usage. They will usually take up to around 30 Tonnes.
Buying an Electric Hoist
An electric hoist should only ever be purchased from an approved manufacturer or supplier. Never buy from third parties without having the equipment checked over first. It is safest to buy a chain hoist from a supplier who is known in the industry, and if you need to save money on your purchase, to buy one second hand. Have the equipment thoroughly checked on a regular basis once you have purchased it – see if the supplier also offers crane and lifting equipment servicing packages for future upkeep.
Electric cars are becoming more readily available and are now increasingly popular in the UK. It may be the case that by 2040, all cars have to be electric, if government plans go ahead. Are they really that much better for the environment?
There is no doubt the electric cars are much better than diesel cars. Diesel has had some very bad press recently, especially after people were told that they should be buying diesel cars to help the environment. This is now very much not believed to be the case and people are having to pay more to drive diesel cars into London and to park them in some boroughs.
If you have an electric car, it is certainly going to be better for the environment. Electricity still mostly does not come from renewable sources, but there is the potential to make it more renewable as fossil fuels run low. This means electric cars could serve us well into the future.
Solar panels are becoming increasingly popular all the time, largely due to concern for the planet, the environment and the need to reduce our carbon footprint. It’s becoming more common for new domestic properties to be built with solar panels already fitted, but how much can it benefit you to install them in your existing property?
The evidence is overwhelmingly in favour of solar panels being an extremely efficient tool in domestic energy production. A 4kWp system (which is usually the standard size of an installation) generates around 3,800 kWh of electricity each year in the South of England. This isn’t far off a typical household’s energy consumption, so it could be enough to account for all of your electricity. Of course, some areas receive more sun than others, but even in places like Scotland where energy generation will be less, you can still make 3,200 kWh, which is more than three quarters of the typical household usage.
Your main consideration will be where to place your solar panels, as you’ll need to be able to capture as much sunlight as possible for the utmost efficiency. Some roofs will be more suitable than others because of the direction they face in, but most households would be able to get reasonable use out of a solar panel system. Even if they’re not going to be able to take you completely ‘off grid’, they can make a very worthwhile contribution to reducing your household bills, and what’s more, you’ll be reducing your carbon footprint whilst doing so.