When you are running a construction site, you will often need to think about hiring an environmental officer to oversee your project. This might be something that you are required to do by law, or it might be something that you choose to do yourself due to the demand and nature of the project. Either way, an environmental officer can really add a lot to your project and is definitely going to be an asset for you.
An environmental officer will usually be involved before a project commences, surveying the construction site to make sure it is being used in an environmentally-friendly way. You should enlist their help from a reputable firm and look into the specialisms of the environmental agency you are working with. Make sure they understand your area of the construction industry and, if possible, work locally, so that they have an understanding of the challenges you may face in your area.
As an industry, construction doesn’t always have a reputation for being the most environmentally friendly. It can be dirty, use lots of equipment and therefore a lot of electricity, petrol and other resources. However, there are many ways in which construction can be made better for the environment. Here are some ideas:
- Use sustainable materials from sustainable sources. Make sure you know where materials like wood and metals have come from, and keep records of all these. Any environment office will want to know this information.
- Choose a good insulation. This means it will last longer, so you won’t need to carry out any building work again in the near future.
- Monitor all energy consumption and do what you can to minimise it. When you know exactly what is being used on site, you can find new ways to cut down on this. You might even want to think about using electric vehicles for transporting your construction materials.
An extension is a big decision for your home and your finances. You will have to think carefully about the logistics of the building process, as well as how you will use the room and what you want to get out of it. If you are going to commit to having a new extension, then you really need to make sure that it is going to be right for you.
The aesthetics are very important, as this will shape the room and the way you use it. Make sure there is plenty of natural light – if your extension is a conservatory, this won’t be a problem, but otherwise, corners of the room could become dark. You can use rooflights to make this better if required.
You should also think carefully about the insulation. Make sure the new part of your home will use good insulation and will be cost effective for you to have.
There are laws in place to protect the environment when construction is going on. They are there to make sure that new building work is safe, eco friendly and won’t threaten any habitats or wildlife that may be close to the building site. If habitats are going to be threatened then you will need to proceed with caution.
It’s essential that you hire an adviser for a construction project, who will be able to help you to execute your construction work with minimum impact on the environment. They can help you with everything, from avoiding threatened habitats to ways of making the new building environmentally friendly. You will need to think about impact during the construction process as well, for example, by using solar power to generate energy, or using rainwater for the drainage systems on site.
Hire an adviser from an agency or take advice on who is best to use from someone you know.
Air compressors can be an efficient way of producing energy. Like any system that produces energy though, there are ways you can use them to make them more efficient. They can only work well for you if they are being used in the correct way.
It is worth noting that compressed air can be much more efficient than many of its counterparts. This is largely due to the ability to store compressed air. This means that energy is not being wasted and it can be saved until it is needed.
Here are some points to consider to get the most out of compressed air systems:
- Don’t use them on the maximum pressure automatically. If you are able to turn the compressor down, do.
- Make sure you don’t have any leaks. This will disrupt the whole system and will affect efficiency.
- Select a compressor that is the right size for your processes. Don’t use a bigger compressor than is necessary.